Monday, April 11, 2011

'Happy' Easter Egg Tree

Before I start talking about my project for today, I just want to share that I was finally able to schedule a trip to the salon to get a haircut yesterday. Hoo-ray for me! With so many things to do all the time, I find it hard to take 2-hours off for a trip to the salon. I think the last time I went was sometime last year?

They blow dried my hair straight after the haircut. I am missing my straightened hair :( My hair is back to its naturally wavy and frizzy state today. Before I had Andrea, I used to get hair rebonding treatment every 6 months. The treatment takes 4-6 hours, and after that, you get really straight and shiny hair. My last treatment was before I got pregnant, so that would be around late 2008. *Sigh*

Ok enough of the hair, let's get on with my project. I see a lot of egg topiary and egg tree projects around. I wanted to make a topiary. but I have no idea how or where to get supplies in my area even if I did. What I did have was 4 packs of plastic eggs in 3 sizes: 2 packs of the small ones, 1 pack of the medium-sized ones and a pack of the big ones. I thought about it and came up with a simple idea to 'build' my own egg tree.


I used a 1.5 inch strip of cardboard, and around... hmmm... 20 plastic eggs I think (I used 2 packs... one pack has around 14 eggs but I had a few unused eggs after my project). Oh, and a glue gun. And some plastic flowers.

Step 1: I glued both sides of my cardboard together to form a circle. This will form the base of my tree. But err... I wish I can tell you what size circle you need, but it will really depend on how many eggs you plan to use for your base, and how big the eggs are.

I will tell you how I figured out the size for mine though.. trial and error. You make your circle, place it on top of a rug and position the eggs around it (I think I used 9 eggs for my base). The eggs need to completely encircle the cardboard base. When it didn't during my first few tries, I simply tore open the circle, adjusted the size and glued again.

Step 2. Start gluing the eggs to your base until the cardboard is surrounded by the first layer of eggs.

Step 3. Glue eggs on top of your first layer, forming a smaller circle. Here's where it gets difficult. The second layer may not be positioned as perfectly as the first. There will be uneven gaps, but I didn't mind too much.

Step 4: Keep gluing eggs until you have a few more layers. As I said, there will be uneven gaps between some eggs but as long as the overall shape looks conical, it should be fine.

Step 5. Cover up the gaps... I used pearls on some gaps... and then cut some fabric leaves and stems from plastic flowers I had and inserted them on the gaps.

Here are all my Easter projects decorating our entryway. My egg tree pops out because of all the colors. Good thing I chose not to paint the eggs. I'm calling it my "Happy" Easter Egg tree because it's so colorful it makes me smile every time I go past it. Andrea likes it too, and yeah, I let her play with it. I made sure I glued the eggs really well and so far, it has survived 2 play sessions with my 1-year-old ;)

Notice those eggs on the left? I'm guest posting over at Mine for the Making on Tuesday as part of Kara's Spring Fling event and I will be talking about them. Wanna see more cool Spring projects? Hop over to Mine for the Making! Click button below to join the fun :)





I am linking up to the following link parties:
Visit thecsiproject.com
Joining the Easter Challenge at the CSI project
Easter Party Link-up at Someday Crafts | Weekend Wrap-up Party at Tatertots and Jello | Free for All at Young and Crafty | Sew Crafty Saturday at Wildflowers and Whimsy | Strut Your Stuff at Saturday Mornings | Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes | K.I.S.S. at the Tattered Tag | Sundae Scoop at I Heart Naptime | CraftOManiac Monday at CraftOManiac | Just Something I Whipped Up at The Girl Creative | Making Monday Marvelous at C.R.A.F.T. | Motivate Me Monday at Keeping it Simple | A Round Tuit at Creating My Way to Success | Feature Yourself Friday at Fingerprints on the Fridge | DIY Project Parade at The DIY Showoff | Market Yourself Monday at Sumo's Sweet Stuff | Craft Couture Monday at Craft Couture | Made By You Monday at Skip To My Lou | Made With Love Monday at Sew Chatty | Make it For Less Monday at Simply Cadence | Inspire Me Monday at Singing Three Little Birds | Tuesday Party at Running with Glitter | Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog | Tutorial Tuesday with Hope Studios | Handmade Tuesdays at Ladybug Blessings | Show and Tell at Blue Cricket Designs | Your Whims Wednesday at My Girlish Whims | Tuesdays To-Do at Blackberry Vine | We Did It Wednesday at Sew Much Ado | The Sunday Showcase Party at Under The Table And Dreaming | Linking Party at Passionately Artistic | Wednesday Link Party at Tea Rose Home | Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts | Wicked Awesome Wednesday at Handy Man, Crafty Woman | Get Your Brag On at Gluesticks | Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage | Creative Juice Thursday at Momnivore's Dilemma | A Crafty Soiree at Katie's Nesting Spot | Commercial Break Thursday at suzy's Artsy Craftsy Sitcom | Friday Favorites with Inspiring Creations | Catch a Glimpse at A Glimpse Inside | Thrifty Thursday Blog Hop at Saved By Love Creations | Thrilling Thursday at Paisley Passions | Feature Yourself Friday at Fingerprints on the Fridge | Finished on the 15th at Favecrafts |

12 comments:

Jill said...

Oh this egg-tree is beautiful! Nice and bright and cheery!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Jami said...

Lovely Easter Egg Tree! I hope you'll stop by the Tuesday To Do party and share it!

http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2011/04/tuesday-to-do-5-and-4-list-makers.html

Smiles!
Jami

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

How pretty! if you have time, Id love for you to link this up to our Wicked Awesome Wednesday organizing party. :-)

Unknown said...

Really pretty and inexpensive centerpiece idea!

lisbonlioness said...

very pretty and cheerful, ideal for kids!

Diane said...

OMGosh, I ♥ that little egg tree ! Just tooo cute Ÿ I'm going to make one of these.

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Thanks for linking this up to our party!

Nicole @ Wohler's World said...

The colors look great, Thanks for sharing, visiting from A Glimpse Inside.

abeachcottage said...

Very cheerful tree! So colourful and fun. Happy Easter indeed! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Such a cute idea...I was looking for an Easter centerpiece idea for a kids table...love this!

sunghee said...

OH my goodness! This is soooo cute! What a fab idea! I would love to make this! Thanks for the great inspiration!

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

I love how that egg tree is so vibrant against the natural of the rest of the vignette!

Thanks for linking up to Creative Juice! Hope to see you again this Thursday!